Justice delayed is justice denied: Join the virtual vigil for Daphne Caruana Galizia
The MFRR stands together 3 years after the assassination of Maltese investigative journalist, Daphne Caruana Galizia to reiterate our call for justice and the end to impunity that continues to threaten media freedom in Malta
Three years ago on 16 October 2017, a car bomb killed the Maltese investigative reporter Daphne Caruana Galizia. Those responsible have still not been brought to justice. With the media freedom community, we demand an end to the triple impunity: the criminal trial is still ongoing, the public inquiry is under government pressure to end before all the evidence has been examined and Daphne’s grieving family is still being dragged into court to fight unjust defamation actions or SLAPPs (Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation) that were filed against her before her death.
Yet there is hope. The courage and determination shown by Daphne Caruana Galizia have inspired many people to campaign for better protection for journalists and to continue her work by investigating corruption on the island of Malta and beyond.
To mark this anniversary, as part of the Media Freedom Rapid Response (MFRR), ECPMF is organising an online vigil to remember this remarkable and fearless journalist and stand in solidarity with her legacy, family, colleagues and other journalists in Malta. For this we are calling on everyone to stand with us calling for justice, because justice delayed is justice denied.
You can take part in the vigil in two ways:
- Share images of ECPMF’s vigil alongside a message of solidarity and support.
- Produce your own vigil and share images of it, alongside a message of solidarity and support. This can be in your home or work place and can bring together quotes from Daphne, photos, candles, flowers or other elements that represent her work and her legacy.
To support you in this we have produced a number of graphics that can be printed off for your vigil, or shared via social media in a range of colours to suit your preferences or organisation’s brand. These can be accessed here.
All commemoration activity should take place on Friday 16th October. At ECPMF we are planning to share our first piece of content in the morning, approximately at 8am (CET). Please feel free to share content throughout the day and please look to others to retweet and share their work to amplify the impact of the day’s campaigning.
Social media messaging
- Justice delayed is justice denied. 3 years after the assassination of Maltese journalist #DaphneCaruanaGalizia we renew our call for justice #JusticeforDaphne
- Three years ago today #DaphneCaruanaGalizia was assassinated in #Malta for speaking out and speaking up. Still we await justice #JusticeforDaphne
- 3 years since #DaphneCaruanaGalizia was murdered. 3 years of impunity. 3 years of justice denied. #ShareTheVigil to show solidarity with Daphne and to support the continuing fight for justice. #JusticeforDaphne
- Today, we commemorate #DaphneCaruanaGalizia, a brave journalist who was assassinated for speaking the truth. This virtual vigil is to remember and remind: We remember Daphne but we remind #Malta that justice delayed is justice denied #ShareTheVigil
- Assassinated for her brave journalistic work – and still no #JusticeforDaphne. Three years is too long to wait #DaphneCaruanaGalizia
- The media in Malta will not be free until there is #JusticeforDaphne. Justice delayed is justice denied #DaphneCaruanaGalizia